Sunday, February 5, 2012

A short story about a girl in NYC


I was in New York last week. After a long day of work and an awful cold on Friday, my head and the weather cleared up on Saturday, it was 55 degrees in January, and the stars aligned for me to go visit Adeline, Adeline.



This place was on the list of must visit places for Dutch bikes, and before I left the city in December, I had only visited the website, skimming through pages with slight interest.  Now, two months later, after being in the same house with my mother, I've picked up her bike obsession. So, upon landing in NYC (after getting all of the gossip from my former co-workers) I needed to go to this bike shop.


Apparently, my mother was just as excited about the prospect because on Saturday morning, there were several text messages listing the bikes that my mother wanted to see. 



From the moment I turned down Reade Street I started snapping photos. I walked around this beautiful bike shop, drooling over Pashleys, Retrovelos, and of course the Kate Spade Bike.



As I followed the instructions from my mother, moving from bike to bike, my eyes kept resting on one bicycle in particular. Never one to lose focus, I continued to ask silly questions about the Public Bike – Is it appropriate for my mother and I, as non-athletes? Can I use it to do the 5 Boro Bike Tour? Do you have any in stock? What about the one with the internal hub? What do people think? Can you ship it? After being assured that the Public was a solid bike, the guy at the shop said that I should consider another bike that would give me a little more bang for your buck. Then he leads me directly to her...





I couldn't imagine, the bike that I'd been lusting after since I walked into the store, was a bike in my price-range. 

That's about the end of the tale. After thinking, and dreaming, and hand wringing, I’ve decided that this will be my first grown-up bike. 

This will be the bike that I take on either the 5 Boro Bike Tour in New York or Bike the Drive in Chicago. 

I will be ordering this bike next week and then I'll be ready to roll!




Here are more pics from my trip to Adeline, Adeline:




Paper Bike






There she is again


No comments:

Post a Comment